Tuesday 11 May 2010

KICK-ASS Film Review



Final got to see this little Gem last night.
Matthew Vaughn’s Kick-Ass is not your PG friendly Comic book Caper, this is the film that Wolverine should have been. Kick-Ass has got it all from foul language & violent action scenes to tongue in cheek humour.

The Biggest name in the film is Nicolas Cage, in a support role, doing a knowing parody of Adam West’s Batman. The main star of this film is not Aaron Johnson as Dave Lizewski AKA Kick-Ass but Chloe Moretz as Mindy Macready AKA HIT-Girl.
Every scene that she is in, she steals. She has some very violent action scene to even delivering the C word.

The films sound track is bang on the money and really suits the film.

For those that don’t know at the film is about, what rock have you been hiding under? Here is a quick summary (Minor Spoilers):-

Dave Lizewski, is your normal American teenager. Not very popular at High School, but has two close friends. He loves comic books and hangs out with his friends at the local comic book store.
One day he asks where there are no real superheroes; his friends tell him that no one has super powers.

Dave heads home and ordered himself a costume of ebay. After it arrives he starts to train. While training in an alleyway, Dave notices two guys up to no good. He goes to stop them, and is beaten to a pulp and stabbed. He is then hit by a car breaking most bones in his body. Dave convinces the paramedic to get rid of the costume and not to mention it to anyone.

After weeks of recovery and surgery that went wrong. Dave now has a higher pain thresh hold due the surgery.

After everything that has happened to Dave, this does not deter him from becoming a Superhero. He had back out onto the street again and goes on patrol. Here he stops three guys from beating up so poor block. This fight is all captured by a passer-by on his mobile and put up on you tube. Within hours the video is the most view clip on You Tube making a Kick-Ass and over night Sensation, and the fun really starts.


All in all a very cool film I give it a 4 out of 5
One thing for sure this film will become an instant Cult Classic.
As for a Sequel Mark Millar has all ready announced that he will write a second line of comics entitled KICK-ASS:- Balls to the Wall.
(The first Comic was written at the same time as the screenplay for the film.)

Needless to say this film Kick’s all other Comic book movies Ass. As this is how a proper adult Comic Book Movie should be.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't decided if I actually want to see this movie or not. I usually like comic movies but this one only looks so-so to me. Maybe I'll get it from Netflix when it comes out on DVD. Who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised (it happens. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you love comic book movies and want one that is more for the adult audanice then you have to see this film. I love it.

    It actually got me in the mood to start collecting Comics again. But I don't want to jump on a title that got a lot of history like the X-men or Spidy. As it easy to get lost when you don't know what been going on or have not read either title in over ten years.

    I want to get into something that is new no history behind it yet and maybe a little adult in it's contents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I like adult comic movies. I really enjoyed Watchmen (though not as much as the comic) and it was definitely more adult.

    As for collecting comics, I was at Barnes & Noble thinking about getting some earlier. Though, I'm like you, I don't want to start on something long and drawn-out. I want to get some stuff that can be started and ended in a single graphic novel so that I don't have to hunt down follow-up graphic novels. The last one I bought was Watchmen early last year and that was the first graphic novel (or comic, for that matter) that I'd bought in 5 or 6 years.

    ReplyDelete